Latest Cricket News: Steve Smith and David Warner barred from participating in Big Bash League

latest cricket news live, cricket news today Steve Smith David Warner Big Bash league Australia
Image Credit - Catchnews.com
  • Latest cricket news live revealed that David Warner and Steve Smith were denied participation in the upcoming season of the Big Bash League
  • It came to the fore in cricket news today when BBL head Kim McConnie reiterated the terms on which Cricket Australia had banned the duo earlier this year for ball-tampering

After Steve Smith and David Warner were seen finally taking the ground in the Canada T20 League’s inaugural edition, fans were hoping that the ball-tampering scandal from earlier this year would finally wash-off and the Australian cricket veterans would soon return to full action. However, as reported in latest cricket news today, the duo have been ruled out of participation from the upcoming season of Australia’s domestic T20 league – Big Bash League (BBL) – after the head of the BBL Kim McConnie reiterated the terms on which the duo was banned by Cricket Australia.

Warner and Smith were banned for 12 months following the ball-tampering scandal

Following the ball-tampering scandal that took place in the Test match between Australia and South Africa at Cape Town in March 2018, David Warner and Steve Smith were banned for 12 months by Cricket Australia and that rules them out of participation from the BBL as well, something that has caught attention in latest cricket news today.

The duo were, however, able to take part in the Canada T20 League as the sanctions only restricting their participation in international games for, and club level cricket in Australia.

Following the sanctions on Warner and Smith (captain and vice-captain of the Australia team), there was quite an uproar in the cricket circles down under, with former cricketers and legends calling Cricket Australia to soften their stance. For example, Shane Watson, calling the punishments harsh, had said in latest cricket news,

“The thing that just disappoints me about the whole situation is now Steve Smith and Dave Warner are over promoting other tournaments by playing in them.. At the moment we’ve got a few world-class players … but they don’t just fall out of trees. That’s why Steve and Dave are such an integral part to Australian cricket, especially in the shorter format.”

McConnie says Warner and Smith have a done a good job accepting the ruling from Cricket Australia

Despite of all the uproar and chaos that had ensued following Cricket Australia’s sanctions, McConnie said on Monday (July 16) that there won’t be any sort of formal relationship between the duo and the Big Bash League. As reported by Cricbuzz, Kim McConnie said,

“Both players have done a really good job and accepted the ruling from Cricket Australia, and they won’t be appearing in the BBL this season. I think every player who plays cricket, we love to think that they talk about the Big Bash and promote the tournament. But beyond being cricket players themselves that have a love of the format, there’ll be no formal relationship.”

“We’ve got so many heroes within our current league, and what we’re going to be focusing on this season is really making sure that we bring some of those younger players that we’re developing in our own system. So we’re going to have some star power but it’s also about promoting the generation coming through the T20 format as well.”

Watch: Steve Smith | Press Conference after ball-tampering scandal

For more Indian football news, latest cricket news, women’s cricket updates, cricket live scores, cricket live streamingfootball news and more, download the Rooter App or subscribe to Rooter News.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here