Table of Contents
- 5 records Virat Kohli broke in the ODI series against South Africa:
- 1. First batsman to score 500+ runs in bilateral ODI series
- 2. Fastest to score 17000 international runs
- 3. First Indian to score 3 centuries in bilateral ODI series
- 4. Most ODI centuries by an Indian captain
- 5. Highest individual score against South Africa in South Africa
Having followed and covered the entire South Africa v India ODI series, we have literally ran out of superlatives to describe Virat Kohli’s current form which saw him score 558 runs from 6 innings of the series (112, 46*, 160*, 75, 36, 129*) and break all sorts of records along the way. On such a note, we can’t help but look at 5 records that Virat Kohli broke in the ODI series against South Africa.
Such has been Kohli’s run-making ability at the moment that everytime he walks on to the field he gets closer to breaking some sort of batting record. Many have compared and even hailed him greater than Sachin Tendulkar and when we look at Kohli’s number and records broken by him, it is hard to contradict the notion.
5 records Virat Kohli broke in the ODI series against South Africa:
1. First batsman to score 500+ runs in bilateral ODI series
Virat Kohli has become the first ever batsman to score 500 or more runs in a bilateral ODI series going past Rohit Sharma’s previous record of 491, which the ‘Hitman’ had scored against Australia back in the 2015-16 series. Kohli scored 558 runs in the 6-match series vs South Africa, adding another feat to his long list of cricket records.
2. Fastest to score 17000 international runs
Hardly any surprise to see Virat Kohli break the record for taking the least number of innings to score 17000 international runs. He brought up the feat in 381 innings which is 18 less number of innings of the previous record held by Hashim Amla.
The 29-year-old India captain also holds the record for being the quickest to score 9500 ODI runs after completing the milestone in just 200 innings which again is 15 quicker than AB de Villiers’ previous record of 215 innings.
3. First Indian to score 3 centuries in bilateral ODI series
Virat had a stunning ODI series where he scored 558 runs and scored 3 centuries in the series and became the first ever Indian batsman to score 3 centuries in a bilateral ODI series. Previously, Sourav Ganguly (World Cup 2003) and VVS Laxman (VB Series 2004) had scored 2 centuries in an ODI series.
4. Most ODI centuries by an Indian captain
Virat Kohli has gone past the record of Sourav Ganguly of scoring most ODI centuries as the captain. Ganguly had scored 11 centuries as the captain which now has been overtaken by Kohli which now has 12 ODI centuries as the Indian captain.
5. Highest individual score against South Africa in South Africa
Virat Kohli’s knock of 160* is the highest individual score by an Indian batsman against South Africa on their home ground.