Table of Contents
- 1. Anukul Roy has picked up 14 wickets at the 2018 ICC U19 World Cup
- 2. Anukul Roy hails from Birha, a remote village in Bihar
- 3. Moved under Jharkhand Cricket due to Bihar’s omission from BCCI
- 4. Anukul Roy’s Team India idol is Ravindra Jadeja
- 5. Roy was India U19 captain against England in 2017
- 6. Anukul Roy is a product of Tennis ball cricket like MS Dhoni
- 7. Roy bagged his maiden 5-wicket haul against Papua New Guinea
- 8. Anukul Roy bagged by IPL team Mumbai Indians for INR 20 lakh
- 9. Roy’s father is an advocate in Samastipur
Anukul Roy, India’s 19-year-old left-arm spinner has emerged as the joint-highest wicket-taker in the ICC U19 World Cup in New Zealand and has been a major factor in his team’s run to the title in junior cricket’s showpiece event. Anukul Sudhakar Roy, now has 14 wickets in the tournament, including two in the big final against Australia.
Roy has displayed extraordinary spin bowling talent, grabbing 1/36 in India’s tournament opener against Australia, 5/14 against Papua New Guinea, 4/36 versus Zimbabwe, 1/11 versus Bangladesh and 1/11 against Pakistan and 2/32 in the final against Australia at the ICC U-19 Cricket World Cup, thus holding his own in the midst of some heavy stuff by India’s emerging crop of pacers.
Here, we list down some facts that you didn’t know about Anukul Roy:
1. Anukul Roy has picked up 14 wickets at the 2018 ICC U19 World Cup
The joint-most by any bowler in the tournament. This is also the first time an Indian bowler has topped the wicket-takers chart in a U19 World Cup.
2. Anukul Roy hails from Birha, a remote village in Bihar
Anukul Roy hails from Birha, a remote village in Rosera block of Samastipur district in Bihar and with his performances at the U19 World Cup, has quickly established a niche for himself despite the game of cricket struggling for survival in his native Bihar.
3. Moved under Jharkhand Cricket due to Bihar’s omission from BCCI
Since the Bihar Cricket Association has been out of the BCCI fold for the last 18 years, Anukul Roy, like his friend and former under-19 captain Ishan Kishan, too moved to Jharkhand to pursue his dream of playing cricket at a higher level.
4. Anukul Roy’s Team India idol is Ravindra Jadeja
Anukul Roy’s bowling idol is Team India’s star all-rounder Ravindra Jadeja, with his room full of pictures of his icon. Due to his bowling style’s similarities with Jadeja’s, Roy is often referred to as “Samastipur’s Ravindra Jadeja”.
5. Roy was India U19 captain against England in 2017
In the year 2017, Anukul Roy was appointed as the captain of Indian colts by coach Rahul Dravid for their warm-up game against the touring England Under-19 team. He was mighty impressive in that game as he grabbed three wickets and scored 62 runs with the bat.
6. Anukul Roy is a product of Tennis ball cricket like MS Dhoni
It was Brajesh Jha, the head of Samastipur Cricket Club who spotted Anukul Roy’s talent at a very young age. Roy has been coached by V. Venkatram since his childhood days and like MS Dhoni, is a product of Tennis ball cricket.
7. Roy bagged his maiden 5-wicket haul against Papua New Guinea
Anukul Roy bagged his maiden five-wicket haul in U19 cricket against Papua New Guinea in India’s group stage game versus the minnows earlier in the World Cup.
8. Anukul Roy bagged by IPL team Mumbai Indians for INR 20 lakh
Anukul Roy bagged the maiden IPL deal of his career when he was signed on by the Mumbai Indians at his base price of INR 20 lakhs at the recently concluded mega IPL auction in Bangalore.
?? – 212/7
— Mumbai Indians (@mipaltan) February 3, 2018
9. Roy’s father is an advocate in Samastipur
Roy’s father Sudhakar Roy is an advocate in Samastipur. Sudhakar encouraged his son to play right from childhood, taking him to the Patel ground in Samastipur, 70 km from Patna, for practice every day.