Table of Contents
- 1. India defeated South Africa in an ODI after seven years
- 2. Virat Kohli scored his first-ever ODI century in South Africa
- 3. Kohli has third-highest centuries as ODI captain
- 4. Virat Kohli has scored ODI centuries in all nine countries that he has played in
- 5. Ajinkya Rahane becomes 3rd Indian to score 50+ in five successive ODIs
- 6. India ended South Africa’s win-streak at home of 17 ODIs
- 7. Virat Kohli has the highest centuries in successful ODI run chases
- 8. Virat Kohli and Ajinkya Rahane’s 189-run partnership is the highest third-wicket Indian stand against South Africa
- 9. India completed the highest ODI-total chase against South Africa in Durban
- 10. Virat Kohli has the joint-highest centuries in International cricket
India entered the Kingsmead Stadium in Durban on Thursday to play the 1st ODI of the six-match series against South Africa. India captain Virat Kohli scored his 33rd ODI century, while producing a scintillating 3rd wicket partnership with Ajinkya Rahane, to push India to acquire an early 1-0 lead over South Africa, as the ‘Men in Blue’ defeated the hosts by six wickets.
India’s spinner duo – Kuldeep Yadav and Yuzvendra Chahal – dominated the Kingsmead wicket with turn and bounce, and restricted the South Africa cricket team to 269/8. What was lacking now, was fulfilled by Virat Kohli and Ajinkya Rahane, not to forget the winning boundary by MS Dhoni, with 27 balls left in the match.
We look at 10 records that India broke in the 1st ODI against South Africa at Kingsmead in Durban on Thursday:
1. India defeated South Africa in an ODI after seven years
2. Virat Kohli scored his first-ever ODI century in South Africa
Virat Kohli registered his maiden hundred in ODIs in South Africa. He scored 112 runs off 119 balls, which included 10 boundaries too, before the India captain got caught out on South Africa pacer Andile Phehlukwayo’s delivery.
3. Kohli has third-highest centuries as ODI captain
Virat Kohli also recorded his 11th century as ODI captain. Only two other veterans of international cricket have recorded more centuries than Virat Kohli as ODI captain. While former Australia captain Ricky Ponting had 22 centuries as ODI captain in his career, the second one is South Africa batsman AB de Villiers, who has 13 hundreds as ODI captain.
Another interesting angle to this record, is that Virat Kohli achieved the feat in just 41 innings, and equalled Sourav Ganguly’s record of most ODI centuries as an Indian captain. While Sourav Ganguly took 142 innings to score 11 ODI hundreds as captain, Virat Kohli did it in just 41.
4. Virat Kohli has scored ODI centuries in all nine countries that he has played in
Virat Kohli achieves a unique record, as he becomes only the third player after Sachin Tendulkar and former Sri Lanka cricketer Sanath Jayasuriya, to score ODI centuries in nine countries (out of the first 10 full ICC member nations). The India captain is yet to play in Pakistan, and while Sachin Tendulkar had missed out the opportunity to score a century in West Indies, Sanath Jayasuriya didn’t score one in Zimbabwe.
5. Ajinkya Rahane becomes 3rd Indian to score 50+ in five successive ODIs
Ajinkya Rahane becomes only the third Indian batsman to have five successive 50+ scores in ODIs. The first Indian to do so was Sachin Tendulkar, who registered the feat 24 years ago in 1994, and the second Indian is Virat Kohli, who did it in 2012-2013.
6. India ended South Africa’s win-streak at home of 17 ODIs
India ended South Africa’s winning-streak of 17 straight ODIs at home. No other cricket playing nation has recorded more than 12 straight ODI victories at home. The Proteas had won the last two ODIs against England, had defeated Ireland, whitewashed all Australia and Sri Lanka 5-0, and Bangladesh 3-0, before losing this ODI to India in Durban.
7. Virat Kohli has the highest centuries in successful ODI run chases
The 29-year-old Virat Kohli now has 18 ODI centuries in successful run chases. Sachin Tendulkar is second in this list with 14 ODI centuries in India’s successful run-chases.
8. Virat Kohli and Ajinkya Rahane’s 189-run partnership is the highest third-wicket Indian stand against South Africa
Virat Kohli and Ajinkya Rahane got together at the third wicket to build a 189-run stand, making it the highest third-wicket stand for India against South Africa. The partnership was also the second-highest Indian partnership (any wicket) against South Africa, on their homeland.
9. India completed the highest ODI-total chase against South Africa in Durban
10. Virat Kohli has the joint-highest centuries in International cricket
No other cricket player who is playing currently, has scored more centuries in international cricket than the India skipper Virat Kohli. When Virat Kohli scored 112 runs of 119 balls, he registered his 54th international century, and levelled the South African cricket player Hashim Amla’s record (54 centuries). Interestingly, Hashim Amla was standing on the ground, watching Virat Kohli, as the Indian captain went on to level his record.